19.6.14

Finished: A 40s trio

Hello! I finally had time to take some pictures of my 40s trio garments! The trio consists of a blouse, skirt and purse all made by me!





You've seen the blouse earlier this year on this blog. It's a 40s pattern with lots of pin tucks and lace insertions. I think this blouse is very classic and elegant and really makes a white(ish) blouse more interesting. 



The skirt was one of my oldest UFO's. I think it was on the UFO pile for over 3 years. Because I don't like unfinished projects I'm really happy that it's finished now! I experienced some difficulties when I started sewing this skirt years ago. I sewed added zipper but, because of the pleats, the zipper was disturbing the way the pleat fall down. I didn't like the result and removed the zipper and put it to the UFO pile.





In the meantime I learned during sewing class how to insert a zipper in a pleated skirt. After some practice I thought I got the hang of it. But silly as I am, I didn't start sewing the skirt straight away, but waited like 2 years. So I completely forgot what I learned during the sewing course. 





But this time I was eager to finish the skirt, so I tried something myself and I'm quite happy with the result. The zipper is hidden into a pleat so it's completely invisible from the outside!





I always wanted a 40s crocheted purse. And it would be even better to make my own. Luckily Ingrid of Couturette shared some free patterns with us, so I could make my own. I had some difficulties understanding the pattern, but Ingrid was of great help! 





The purse is lined and to give it its shape I used a very heavy interfacing. I'm really happy with the result!



I really like the idea of working on a complete me made outfit. And I think I will do this more often. 

20 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful outfit, even more perfect that it is me made. heavy pleated skirts and blouses are my go to winter clothes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look terrific! You must feel very proud of your work, as well as completing this outfit - wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already saw it on wsr, a great outfit. I love this purse and congrats you faced this UFO, I know how hard it is to finish a project that is already lying a certain time without progress, a really wise decision to finally finish it, a tartan skirt is a really great wardrobe basic, in my opinion (something I still don't have because I have a horror when only thinking about sewing plaid).
    ~ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finishing UFO's can be hard indeed! I'm so glad this is done! Sewing this skirt wasn't that difficult, you really should try it! I know you have the skills to make it work!

      Delete
  4. Your outfit is awesome. You look wonderful in it!! You give me the courage to admit that I have also taken some classes, then waited too long to put the lessons into practice, then totally forgotten what I learned in the class. And I am no longer ashamed to admit this! Thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! And thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Mooi setje zo! Past perfect bij elkaar, ook met je vestje erop (ik kan er nog steeds niet over uit dat je zo veel geduld hebt om een heel vest met zulke dunne naalden te breien!). Je rok is ook super goed gelukt, en die blouse ook, jij maakt altijd zulke mooie gedetailleerde dingen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did wonderful with your outfit! Everything looks lovely. together and on their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a splendid job, really! I love the skirt, and together with the blouse and the cardigan it looks really perfect. Did you make the cardigan?

    And the purse - well, I have so many patterns for such purses, and I even have a vintage purse as well (I found one for very little money on Ebay, it was unnoticed by other buyers so I was the only bidder - lucky me!), but I didn't have enough courage yet to crochet one myself. I'm a slow crocheter, and I think it would take me months, if not years, to finish it. What kind of material did you use?

    And oh, by the way, I love your furniture... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I did make the cardigan as well :)

      Lucky you indeed with finding that purse! Crocheting the purse went very fast!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful Outfit and your purse is absolut beautiful. Love it
    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic trio! I love each piece equally and am struck by how much versatility they all offer up, whether worn together or separately. Your really look lovely, honey.

    Happiest start of summer wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is great to see the trio altogether. Each piece is lovely. You have done such a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed by all these creations you made. Gosh, to put in a zipper in a pleated skirt...I don't even want to think about it:) It is nice that you were able to learn this detail in a class. I very much wish there was a good sewing class close by. There are amazing classes in the city but it is too far away. So, I must rely on books and the internet and seeing wonderful inspirational creations like yours:) I know how much hard work can go into this kind of project. Your skirt looks so professional. I'm glad you finished it as I can see that it would be (and is) a great wardrobe staple. I tell myself I need to sew things that I will wear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeej, ik was zo benieuwd om alles bij elkaar te zien! Ik ben nog steeds onder de indruk van die blouse, al die plooien!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!